[pct-l] Dehydrating veggies

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 09:14:17 CDT 2013

Sometimes I use frozen veggies because they are already cut up and some are
blanched/pre-treated.  I spend the extra $0.50 on higher quality ones that
say they are picked at peak of freshness and frozen immediately.  I have
done frozen spinach, broccoli (florets work better; the stems seem to come
out woody and turn brown), berries, and peas.  I have done fresh onions,
peppers, kale, mushrooms, bananas, mango, and papaya with no pre-treatment.
 I have done cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, beans, lentil soup, and wild
rice.  Also did low fat spaghetti sauce and red clam sauce, spread thin on
a fruit-roll tray and then powdered in my food processor.  All came out
great dehydrated at 135 F.
My dehydrated kiwis turned brown within a few days, and my pears came out
chewy.  Any advice on fruits?  Should I be pre-treating some of them with
ascorbic acid, lemon juice, or something else?  Planning on doing sockeye
salmon, tuna, and deer jerky (I don't eat meat except for some wild game
and wild-caught fish).  I am new to jerky, so any advice would be
appreciated!