[pct-l] Cheryl Strayed's book

Douglas Tow douglastow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 17:48:14 CDT 2013

Good afternoon!

Please let's be careful before we first pretend not to know this book, and
then proceed to characterize the author as a prostitute.  She was not.

The book is more of a story of recovery and redemption, and happens to be
framed in her adventure on the PCT.  She walked 1,000 miles, the first 200
with 70 pounds on her back, followed by "only" 50.  I challenge the
list-poster referred to above to do this, and then comment.

While the book is inspirational, it does not really inspire to hike the
PCT.  It does not try to counter the adversities she (sometimes needlessly)
faced, give extensive references to those who might want to best prepare
for a hike, nor update the hiking equipment and support available today.

Perhaps the best way to anticipate traffic is to follow the number of thru
permits issued this year when compared to.....Etc.

Chipmunk