[pct-l] First Aid Kit

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Mar 17 19:27:16 CDT 2013

Most useful:

Moleskin
Alcohol wipes - to clean blisters and surrounding skin before applying the
next item
Tincture of benzoate - to make moleskin stay in place for DAYS on sweaty
parts, like toes, heels, and soles of the feet
Soap - for cleaning wounds before dressing. Multi-use item that also cleans
me, my clothes, dishes, etc.

Less useful:

You HOPE everything else in a first aid kit will be useless (or almost so).
Unfortunately, feces occurs, so carry whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Just be sure you know how, when, AND WHEN NOT to use each item. Actually,
you can usually improvise almost anything you might reasonably need. It
might not be sterile or pretty, but it will do until you can reach proper
medical care.

If, in addition to the Most Useful items above, I could carry only one real
1st aid item, it would be an irrigation syringe, the larger the better. Mine
is 20 ml only because I can't get a 50. Cleaning the rare deep wound is
critical to preventing infection.

FWIW, I do not consider prescription meds that I need on any kind of regular
basis to be part of my 1st aid kit. Prescriptions that I MIGHT need (Epipen,
antibiotics, pain meds) are part of the kit.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but I've spent a lot of time over the years
talking about this very subject with those who are, especially those who
accompany expeditions where serious trauma is not only possible but likely.