[pct-l] How much water to carry

Stephen Crane stephenmcrane at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 14:17:18 CDT 2013

I ran into a hiker in the southern desert last year with a rule of thumb that worked well for me based on the temperature.  I'd manually adjust for climbs, difficulty, etc.

Less than 65F, I could walk about 10 miles on one liter
Between 65F and 85F, I could walk about 5 miles on one liter
Over 85F, I could walk about 3 miles on one liter

In the southern desert, I started before dawn whenever possible and always hid during the hot afternoon.

I did get burned once or twice by not accounting for much hotter temperatures on the valley floor after a cool morning at elevation.  Scissors Crossing comes to mind...

 YMMV

Stephen Crane 'That Guy' 2012

 Message: 39