[pct-l] HikeFor 2.0 launched

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Fri Mar 15 01:37:23 CDT 2013

Hi folks.

I've been very hard at work on this for the past month, at least 300 hours
of development, and tonight I've finally made the new site live.  If you're
heading out for a hike this year and you'd like to use your hike to raise
funds for a worthy cause (or two), please check it out: www.hikefor.com

In 2010 the site supported only a single cause, but I've updated it now to
allow hikers to hike for any valid non-profit.  If you want to hike for
something specific not yet listed on the site, let me know and I'll add it
to the list.

The new site allows hikers to split donations between two causes so you can
hike for your main cause but also split a percentage of the funds raised to
a second cause.  I set this up thinking that ideally hikers would split a
percentage off for the organization that takes care of the trail they're on.
For example, you might be hiking the PCT for American Lung Association at
80% with the other 20% going to the PCTA.

Most of the work on the site was to accommodate the multiple causes and
account upgrades to allow users to create more than one hike (for return
hikers) but some new features also include an attractive journal with
embedded photos and lightbox photo viewer.  To see it in action, check out
my page from the 2010 hike: http://www.hikefor.com/Potential_178/PCT/2010

I would have liked to have added some additional features including an
advanced hike planner, guestbook, google map/google earth tracking, etc. but
my time on this is completely unpaid and for the moment I've put in as much
time as I can afford to spare.  The next priority is finding funds to cover
the costs of incorporating as a 501(c)3 non-profit.

So, please take a look and let me know if you encounter any bugs, I haven't
had a chance to test the site in some browsers or on a mac.  I'm eager to
get a few hikers signed up so it's not old 2010 hikes listed on the front
page before I start spreading the word further about the site, so please
feel free to sign up, and again, if you want to hike for an unlisted cause,
let me know!

Thanks for your attention!

Potential 178