[pct-l] How much water to carry

Lindsey Sommer lgsommer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:08:21 CDT 2013

Interesting, I was just talking to someone about this yesterday.

During the week I do a lot of 5-7 mile hikes here in LA, where it can get
pretty warm. They are pretty vigorous, lots of ups and downs. I generally
bring a liter of water with me during these hikes, but have noticed that I
have consistently, for a long time, been getting pretty severe headaches
later in the evening after I'm done. This is super consistent with what
happens to me when I don't drink enough water, so I'm wondering if I should
start to drink more (maybe 2 liters) during these hikes and see if that
helps.

This worries me slightly. Since, if I'm going to be drinking 2+ liters for
a 5 mile hike, that seems to mean that I might have to be carrying that
much extra water! Ugh :(

My poor little GG Mariposa is not going to like that, not one bit.