[pct-l] How much water to carry

Seth Jacobs jacobs.sethf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 18:59:37 CDT 2013

Last year on my section hike from Campo to Idylwild I consumed one liter
for every 5 miles hiked (including meals, etc.).  I don't know if that's
typical.  My advice would be to conduct a test hike to see how many miles
you can hike on a liter of water and to compare this to how many miles
apart reliable water sources are on your hike.  My goal was to carry enough
water to get to another reliable water source in case the planned one
wasn't available for one reason or another or I made a wrong turn.  That
wasn't always practical but I usually did carry more than the minimum
amount of water.  I didn't begrudge the extra weight.

Seth