[pct-l] Instant Rice, Powered Cheese & Butter

dicentra dicentragirl at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 09:38:56 CDT 2013

LOL!!

Of course the real thing is the best.  Stumbling Norwegian mails (yes mails!!) himself string cheese - the single serving, individually wrapped kind. There's a ton of flavors of those now too. I just saw a tomato basil one in the store!

Nido IS the best for powdered milk. It might be kind of hard to find on the trail.  You can sub powdered baby formula (kudos to Jester for that idea).

Annie's brand used to sell the packets of powdered cheese (like you get in a box mix) without the pasta. I searched their site and Amazon with no luck so I don't think they are doing that any more.

HOWEVER. There are no rules. If you buy a box of mac n cheese... Use the noodles to make something else (alfredo? pesto? tomato) and use the cheese powder in your potatoes or couscous or whatever.  Same goes for those packages that have sliced potatoes.

OR... Packit Gourmet, Harmony House, Frontier Foods all have several kinds of powdered cheeses and butter.

Instant rice.  Store brands are pretty much the same across the board.  You can find instant BROWN rice.   If you have a dehydrator you can make your own instant rice (quinoa, millet, barley, lentils, wild rice...) by cooking it normally and then laying it on dehydrator trays to dry.  I think you end up with a much nicer and more nutritious product that way... You might not to do that much work before your trip. *shrugs*

wow... that was way longer than I intended it to be. I hope the info is helpful.

~Dicentra

http://www.onepanwonders.com ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest
http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra