[pct-l] Poison Oak/Ivy & Poodle-Dog Bush on the PCT

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 13 21:06:09 CDT 2013

Good evening,

The first poison oak that I can remember on the PCT was about half-way down
Hauser Canyon where the path leaves the dirt road and switches back to the
west.

The next infestation was near Barrel Springs; in fact, there was a large
patch of the stuff in the shade about 15 feet away from the stock tank –
just where several hikers had flopped soon after their arrival.

As Ken mentioned, poison oak likes the moisture in little creek bottoms –
usually below 3,500 feet elevation.  As soon as I see the trail is going to
switch-back in the brush of a small drainage, I start looking.

One caution for everyone crossing poison oak habitat is dogs, and to a
lesser extent, horses.  Many hikers like to pet the friendly four-footed
critters, but they very often are covered with poison oak oil.  Dogs in
particular can’t seem to stay right in the middle of the trail, and they
are just the right height to brush their noses and sides against trail-side
poison oak.  It doesn’t seem to bother them a bit.  I try my best to step
aside for dogs, and fend them away with my hiking poles.  I never pet
horses, even if the rider says it’s OK.  Horses get their noses in the
poison oak when snatching bites along the trail, and many horses seek it to
eat.  They often will have poison oak oil all over their noses.

N. California seems to have quite a bit of poison oak mixed in with other
brush hanging over the trail.  There’s lots of it in the last miles of
trail approaching Seiad Valley, and then again along the first 2-3 miles in
the climb northbound from Seiad.  Walking down the section toward Seiad I
encountered a young couple day-hiking with two big, shaggy dogs.  I fended
off the dogs and mentioned to the couple to look out for poison oak because
I could see that they were walking right through it with their bare legs,
as were the dogs.  The guy told me they weren’t worried because there
wasn’t any poison oak around.

For those of you from the east who are not familiar with poison oak, just
look for poison ivy with a slightly different-shaped leaf; and there are
many variations of poison oak leaf shape -- much more variety than I’ve
seen on poison ivy.  The two plants are very similar and you’ll probably
learn quickly.  To avoid it, altitude is your best friend.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/