[pct-l] ADZPCTKO Vendors : To pole or not to pole

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:36:36 CDT 2013

My experience of flying with potentially questionable goods is that
standards vary.  Once when stopping off for fuel at a small Caribbean
Island we got out and flight side of the airport security was a shop
selling Swiss Army Knives (and decent sized ones) - so we could have
purchased any and wandered back on board armed.  However, flying to Israel
from UK with a diving knife in checked luggage (declared and with loads of
other diving gear) sent the airport security "ballistic" - but it was
allowed (checked) and I ended-up being walked through security (by
security) with all my checked gear, through to the aircraft and putting the
diving gear bag on the conveyor loading the aircraft!  Once I flew with a
small sailing shackle attached to my bag and French Airport Security
confiscated it and gave me "a talking to" (when I objected), their
justification being that I could slip it over a finger and use it as a one
fingered knuckle duster!

So, whilst I cannot comment on recent regulatory changes, my own experience
is that different regulations can be applied in different places at
different times.  And I suspect a lot depends of where you are departing
from.

I would be unsure about hiking poles from the UK given that
billiard/snooker cues are currently prohibited (and they often separate
into two halves) - but I am not an expert (maybe just too cautious).