[pct-l] FOOOOD!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Mar 11 19:38:49 CDT 2013

You might consider just planning some of it in advance. Perhaps only
plan out in advance all of Southern California up to Tehachapi. By
then you'll really know what you are doing. There's a huge
supermarket in Tehachapi, a Big-K K-mart (has food) and another
cheaper super market. You could pack and ship food to yourself for
many miles up the trail from Tehachapi. The next huge supermarket is
South Lake Tahoe. You could do it like this all the way up the trail.

I tried planning all my food and packing boxes for every resupply but
I got sick of the food choices I made in only about 300 miles and
some of it got stale. So I ended up just doing the shop-as-you-go
plan and that worked fine for me.

If you don't have Yogi's town guide, you should get it because that's
how you will know where the big supermarkets are plus you'll have
addresses for post offices and other shipping destinations.

You don't shop for 6 months of your regular life in advance. You
don't have to for 6 months of trail life if you know where the stores
are.