[pct-l] Sleeping Bags: 15 vs 20 degree and down treated bags

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Mar 11 14:52:56 CDT 2013

Good afternoon, Tracy,

On a cold night if I don’t sleep wearing everything I brought, then I
brought too much.  That old truism applies only to the bare-minimum
clothing I am carrying anyway.  It doesn’t make good sense to buy a lighter
bag and then supplement it with clothing that is unnecessary to wear except
for occasional sleeping.

You didn’t mention how you sleep.  I use a 15 deg. bag because:

1) I don’t often sleep in, or under, any kind of shelter.  Most lightweight
tents add about 5 degs. to the warmth of a bag by controlling air movement
around the bag.  A more highly-featured three-season tent may add 10-15
degs. of warmth, however it doesn’t make sense to carry 2-3 extra pounds of
tent to save 4 extra ounces of down in the bag.

2) When I wanted to buy, the 15 deg. bag was on sale.

A 20 deg. bag seems to be the most common for PCT hikers, even those
sleeping under the stars, but I believe that mostly applies to bags by one
of the best name brands.  As for off-brands … well, talk is cheap so roll
the dice.

For myself, I wouldn’t buy down treated with water-resistant stuff.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/