[pct-l] Sleeping Bags: 15 vs 20 degree and down treated bags

Christian krampenschiesser at freenet.de
Mon Mar 11 14:23:17 CDT 2013

Hi Tracy,
I would defenitly go with a colder sleeping back (higher comfort
temperature) and supplement it with clothing.
I would even prefer a 25 °F sleeping bag.
Mine is about 35 °F and I used it down to 5 °F with warm clothes.
However I tend to stay warmer than others at lower temperatures.
I think the  treated down is more a marketing joke, like the
self-healing-tent-cloth (standard silnylon).
Down is naturally water repallant as it is needed to insulate goose/ducks.
If you ever handwashed a sleeping bag you will see that it is quite hard
to get down completly soaked.
Christian