[pct-l] Navigation 'kit' options

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Mar 7 20:43:10 CST 2013

I've gotten grief for admitting this in the past, but my navigation
gizmos included the Data Book and the Wilderness Press Guidebooks and
a watch (Huh? What's a Data Book?). I'd say for me 99% of the time
all I ever really needed to know was how many miles I'd gone. I only
got lost once on the PCT and maps and compasses couldn't help me make
sense out of anything. I don't know how to use a GPS. Maybe someday I
will learn. That sounds like the most minimal, except for all the
battery charging and fussing about figuring out the software. Map and
compass are sorta worthless in the deep forests of Oregon, not that
you'll actually ever be lost in there.