[pct-l] Irresponsible March 1st (a week late) Sierra Entry Prediction

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:07:22 CST 2013

One thing I would recommend is buying a compass that can correct for
magnetic declination (typically there's a little key mechanism on the back
of the compass that will allow you to set the declination).  This makes it
easier to not have to remember if you need to add or subtract degrees when
following or taking a bearing.  A compass with a sighting mirror works well
too and is worth the investment IMHO.
To get some practice, you don't necessarily need to go into the
wilderness...For example, if you have a topo map of your home town sitting
around, you could probably go to a park where you can see a couple of
street intersections and practice taking bearings and triangulation.  Take
a bearing off of two or more of those street intersections and then
carefully draw those lines at those angles on the map (correcting for
declination).  Where the lines from the two street intersections intersect
is where you are in the park.  It's really very cool and very simple. *
http://www.ussartf.org/compass_basics.htm*
Maybe it's because I'm a navigation geek (I'm probably the only guy that
has ever taken a sextant out backpacking), but map and compass
is infinitely more fun than GPS.

River