[pct-l] Beginner experience level

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:18:28 CST 2013

Most of the people I hiked with on the PCT did have some experience in
backpacking and a few had done long hikes before, but several had no
experience whatsoever.  They learned tons on the trail from their own
mistakes, the mistakes of others and then from the many, many things they
did right, and the generous spirit of the more experienced hikers around
them.

I met one fellow in the south lands who reappeared several more times over
the summer and we finally found ourselves walking most of WA together with
a few others.  He had a total of 2 days camping before setting out on the
PCT, he knew almost nothing and made tons of mistakes, but he just kept
walking.  Day in and day out, he kept moving north and the difficulties
lessened and the fun picked up and he crossed into Canada with me and a
bunch of wonderful folks, all of whom had tons more experience than he did
when they started out.  By the end, he could stand up with any of them and
be proud of his hike, and he was ready to set out on any other of our great
trails, an experienced thru hiker.

When you are prepping for a thing so out of our usual life experience, it
can begin to look like it's just way too much.  How could you possibly ever
do it?  The reality is so different.  You need to prep, but it isn't the
prep that gets you to Canada, it's just not stopping.  If you walk day
after day, you will make it.  When you find you've made a mistake, or
forgotten something, you fix it.  Anything short of serious injury can be
repaired or fixed or learned en-route, but it's the mental ability to keep
going that will get the experienced hiker and the "fresh of the bus" newbie
to Canada.

Stone Dancer is so right.  Don't worry at this point.  If you have the time
set aside right now, just go.  You'll be fine.  You'll never be fully
prepared anyway, so just go.  You'll love it.  It's the experience of a
lifetime.

Shroomer