[pct-l] Beginner experience level

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:43:17 CST 2013

Ronald,

 I know you won't believe it now but you are probably as well prepared for
the thru hike as you are going to be.  Sure you are going to be second
guessing your gear choices all the way thru the Sierra's,  then you will
stop and you won't think about them again until Washington when (and if)
the rain starts.

But at that point you will figure out  - that while the choices you have
made for gear are probably not the ideal choices for you - they will work
out.  If they are way off you will change them during the trip.

Did I change a few things from my first thru hike to me second - sure,
have I changed a few things in prep for the third - sure,  is it really
going to make a difference - probably not.

The gear is such a small part of what it takes to do a successful thru
hike.   But - as it is two months from the start of this adventure - it is
all you have any control over  - so we tend obsess on it.  Every thru hiker
has gone through this and every thru hiker will go through this.  Food is
the same.  If you screw up on your food there will be a store in most trail
towns where you can adjust.  Granted there are a few towns where the
choices are limited, but I've yet to hear of a thru hiker dying from
starvation on the trail.

Enjoy the trail - it is an adventure of epic dimensions - one of which is
pre-hike worry

Day-Late (who worried about everything before that first thru)