[pct-l] Anticipating tomorrow...

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Mar 6 22:27:51 CST 2013

I've been participating on this listserv since it began.  I've loved how
posters went from 99% men in 1994 to 60% men today.  The whole idea of
"hiking the PCT" has changed because more women are taking on the
challenge, planning, and hiking the trail.  There is much less of the
macho "me" orientation that so drags down exploring, asking questions,
and making tentative statements about learning. It's still alive on the
listserv, but dying.

20 years of hikers sharing their questions, experience, fears and
knowledge has bred a robust community accepting of newcomers and their
questions and the experienced wisdom of trail elders.  I love how
Shroomer frames a perspective that ostensibly answers a question.  He is
doing so much more.

My folks took me backpacking - not camping - for the first time in 1960,
when I was eight.  We hiked up into the Eagle Cap Wilderness in
northeastern Oregon and spent two days under a 12' wide and 20' long
clear plastic tarp while it rained.  My mom guided our energy into word
games and crazy eights and imagining being warm.  Those two days shaped
me in ways I can't begin to express.

How do five people handle shitting for two days?  I remember walking out
in the driving, constant rain to the hole my Dad had dug that was filled
with excrement and toilet paper, and having to squat and dump.  A part
of me was horrified!  The part of me that grew over the years reveled in
crapping on top of other peoples crap.  I liked the fact we had to crap
in an  18" deep hole filled with excrement and toilet paper.  This was
COOL!!!

The morning of the third day we began to hike out under leaden/foggy
skies, and a half mile down the trail met a sheepherder.  He offered to
take our packs to our car.  He strapped our packs to his mules and we
hiked the six miles downcanyon in a different state of emotional mind...

I think that persons like Yogi are setting the historical stage for a
shift in perspective.  What she's done in her documenting resources and
realities of the PCT and CDT has let 20 somethings awake in a world that
makes a thru-hike far more possible than it appeared 40 years ago.  The
wise oldtimers - - Shroomer - and others who humbly share their
experience balance Yogi's business efforts so that my grandchildren can
awaken and feel affirmed and supported in their dream of hiking a long
trail.

20 years of participating in and watching threads emerge here on the
listserv has made me incredibly hopeful about our - the human races' -
future.  Most of us here on the listserv are privileged - we come from
at least the middle class.  I've met lots of trust funders hiking the
PCT.  Not many Native Americans or African Americans hike the trail in
this era.

Newcomers ask questions about gear and hiking with dogs and what it's
like to hike for week after week.  Shroomer and Diane maintain a
perspective that fosters curiosity.  The more experienced hikers like
them write of their experience and the perspective that comes from
experience, the more persons dreaming of hiking a long trail feel
supported.

I hope that young women feel the choice to hike, to set out hiking
alone, is safe.  Statistics comparing what happens to persons on the
trail compared to those in cities make it apparent - obvious - hiking is
safer.  You'll find safe, friendly, interesting, and intriguing persons
who will become lifelong friends.  Feel confident to start at Campo
alone.  You are strong and can meet the challenges the trail throws at
you.  You can.

If you become part of the herd (and apparently, this happens in the
first week or two) you'll always have someone to bounce your reality off
of.  Whether others will want to take it or not is another story...

I began this missive extolling the positivity that the change in posts
from mostly men to much fewer men.  I hope that women, one woman at a
time, can create her dream and find other women who are dreaming the
same vision - hiking a long trail.  I think this reality is growing here
on the listserv.  Diane is declaring her presence and offering a kind of
wisdom that's never been here.  Yogi - self-effacing and at the same
time in your face - gives us a larger perspective within which to
organize our fears and projections and growth needs.

You 20 somethings women looking for direction and meaning and purpose
and latch onto the vision of hiking the PCT need to be supported.  This
is a good forum for that.  Yogi and Diane and others will help you shape
your dream...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD