[pct-l] Beginner experience level

Swope Christopher sswwooppee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 15:38:18 CST 2013

Elizabeth,

When I started my hike in 2010, I had a grand total of 40 miles under my belt as a backpacker. In some ways, I think it helped me because I very little in the way of expectations. You hear about people getting off the trail because it's not what they expected all the time.

In other ways it was a bit of a disadvantage. I hiked too fast at first and hurt my knee, is one example. Another is I used spending money on unnecessary comforts because I was insecure about all the time alone and in a strange environment. This didn't get me off trail but if I was on a shoestring budget it certainly would have.

IMO finding a hiking partner over the Internet/email is largely a waste of time. You won't know if they have a compatible hiking style until you have one.

Happy trails,
Swope