[pct-l] cooking pot size

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 5 10:47:29 CST 2013

Good morning, Patrick,

For most hikers preparing hot food just for themselves the approximate
1-liter pot size has proven to be about right.  I have two pots of that
size – a 0.90-liter, 4.2 oz. titanium alloy pot, and a 1.09-liter, 4.2 oz.
aluminum alloy “grease pot”, both of which work well regarding size.

Appetites and food preferences vary among hikers, but when cooking under
less-than-desirable conditions some extra pot volume allows less fussy
set-up, and more space and security to stir contents without its slopping
over the edge.

For quite a while when I ate hot food I heated a 354 ml, 1.8 oz. titanium
alloy cup in a tiny stand over solid fuel.  That was a light-weight
arrangement, except I usually had to heat my meal in two batches –
something that was workable but a bit aggravating at times.

Eventually I’ve changed to eating only cold food so I can leave all the
stove, fuel, and cooking junk at home.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye