[pct-l] BioLite Camp Stove

Tom Weir tom.weir at the-cabin-on-the-hill.com
Sun Mar 3 13:16:43 CST 2013

Chris,

Stick with your Jet Boil or alcohol and carry some extra batteries.  The
BioLite is nothing but a novelty.  "Look guys my stove charges batteries".
The average alkaline AA battery has about 3 Watt-hours of energy and weighs
0.83 oz.  You would have to burn the BioLite for 1.5 hours to get the same
amount of energy.  It would take 2.5 hours to charge a fully discharged
iPhone that has a 5.3 W-hr battery.  I could carry my one oz. alcohol stove
and 2 pounds of AA cells and have the same weight as the BioLite. That is
about 38 AAs.  You would have to burn the BioLite over 60 hours to get the
same energy.  I don't know what a Jet Boil weighs, but I am sure it is much
less than 2 pounds, so you could still add a lot of batteries and be lighter
than the BioLite..

Tom