[pct-l] JMT Thru Hike?

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Jun 29 18:25:49 CDT 2013

[pct-l] JMT Thru Hike?

Andr'e,
You got some good advice so far.
Like "Gottawalk" pointed out "it can be done".
Not only that, but it has been done.
I disagree, however, with "GottaWalk" that it won't be enjoyable
with a heavy pack.
It all depends on what you want out of your hike, what your comfort
level is, your hiking experience and physical conditioning.
I have seen hikers moaning & groaning with a 35lb pack and seen
hikers happy as can be hauling 65lb packs.
Since 1968 or 1969 I have section hiked the JMT countless times and
"thru-hiked" it 11 times with packs weighing anywhere from 22lb to
85lb and I have enjoyed everyone of my JMT hikes immensely.
Like I said the weight of your pack will be a reflection of what you
want out of your hike and as long as the weight does not exceed your
Physical capability you will enjoy your hike.
On my 1st JMT "thru-hike", with the scouts,in 1996,I hauled a 75lb
pack starting at Happy Isles and a 85lb pack after resupplying at
the Muir Ranch.
That was before the UL Revolution which changed everything.
We did it in 21 days and enjoyed that JMT "thru" every bid as much
as the ones with the 22lb packs.
But, I was only 56 at that time and I know I could not do that now
at 72.

However, since you have a time constrain, I would encourage you to go
as light as you can, without compromising your goal, since you will
travel faster with a lighter pack.

Listen to what Gary tells you..."20 miles a day in the Sierra is a
lot different than 20 miles a day elsewhere.

Also, you are looking at 222 miles (211 miles to Whitney, and 10.7
miles to Whitney Portal.

Scott hit it right on the head when he said..."it is truly the most
beautiful 200+ miles in the country".
I would like to add to that..."The JMT is like a beautiful woman,
and once bitten forever hooked.
I know,...I got bitten by that beautiful lady many years ago, and
every summer since she has been calling me.

As far as to answer your question..."can it be done in 14 days"?
Hey,..if a 63 year old over the hill guy can do it in 5 days, 7 hrs
and 45 minutes then you should be able to do it in 14 days.

The following is a list of the fastest known "unsupported" JMT times.

Brett Maune.........2009......3 days 14 hrs. 15 minutes
Ian Alloway.........2009......4 days  5 hrs.  5 minutes
Michael Popov.......2007......4 days  5 hrs. 25 minutes
Reinhold Metzger....2004......5 days  7 hrs. 45 minutes
John Rosendah.......1988......5 days  7 hrs. 50 minutes
Reinhold Metzger....2003......5 days 10 hrs.
Jaequeline Florine..2005......6 days  6 hrs. 25 minutes

And then there was Catra Corbett!!!

Aaahhh.....I remember Catra.
Catra and I met on a moonlit summer night on top of Mt. Whitney.
I was sleeping in the hut on the eve of one of my "Sub Five JMT"
record attempts and Catra just finished the 1st leg of her JMT
yo-yo, when Catra burst into the hut and into my life.

JMT Reinhold
Still dreaming about Catra
-----------------------------------
GottaWalk wrote:
Yes, a two week JMT hike can be done and still be a wonderful, enjoyable hike.

It won't be enjoyable with a heavy pack or if you aren't reasonably fit....
GottaWalk

-----------------------------
> Andr'e wrote
>/  Hey All,
/>/
/>/  I'm planning to embark on the JMT later this summer, but sadly only have 14
/>/  days that I can afford to be on the trail. Is it possible to finish this
/>/  200+ mile trek in such a short period of time? If not, are there portions
/>/  that I can afford to miss that will not hinder my experience too much?
/>/  Thanks for the input!!!
//
/