[pct-l] JMT Thru Hike?

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 17:35:30 CDT 2013

It is a regulation to carry a bear canister. If you feel the Bear Keg is
heavy, you should select lighter one.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm And when you cannot
put all your food into a canister, there are two technique.

1. You should use a bear box in campsite.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lockers.htm
2. Classify your food into two category: vacuum packed food, and unpacked
food. The unpacked food should be kept in a bear canister, but the vacuum
packed food has no smell, then they can be kept in a dry bag.

Frankly speaking, the population density of bear is lesser than 1 percent
of that of Japanese bear. It is very difficult for you to encounter a bear.
The rodents may be the real danger for food. I have learned from PCT-L that
they hate mothball.