[pct-l] Horse encounter with illegal MTBs

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 12:41:35 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Spring <kjssail at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think Yogi has the right idea: when I encounter illegal bikers, I simply
> refuse to allow them past me.  I carry weapons (hiking sticks) and am 6'
> 4", so I might have an advantage over some other hikers.  If bikers are
> supposed to yield, then I think they are illegal when they don't yield.  So
> they need to be stopped and given the lecture.  I bike, although rarely on
> trails, and bikers don't get special privileges.
>
> Spring

As long as you are prepared to deal with any possible consequences of your
actions, then you do what you feel is best for the given situation. Be
careful what you wish for, you just might get it, and more.

Just so you know, you have no right to forcibly stop people to give them a
lecture for riding a bicycle on a closed trail or to teach them proper
etiquette. doing so may be a crime. You may also be held responsible for
any harm that occurs as a result. They don't get special privileges, but
they have the same rights and legal protections that you have. There have
been people that have forcibly stopped bicycles or sabotaged/booby-trapped
trail that have been prosecuted, and these people and their actions are
fairly well known in the MTB circles.

And again, we really do not need any more hostility in the world, do we? I
really don't believe we do.

I'm not a hippie, religious, stoned, or a new ager, but I realize it's a
damn nice thing to be able to walk through the world without fear and
anger. It takes practice, but I think it's worth it.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives."