[pct-l] Stevens Pass to Manning

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 23:01:03 CDT 2013

You wrote:  I am planning to hike from Stevens Pass (mile 2426) to Manning (mile 2660)
starting about August 10th.
Dear Chuck,

As a Washingtonian, I believe you will typically have much better weather in September.

Your mid August start date could still put you in mosquito and blackfly breeding frenzy. Most of the glaciers in the lower 48 are up there and the bugs are epic.

 While you could have snow any month on the WA PCT, August is most notorious for dumping a bit of snow and generally being nasty.
September is often glorious.  My favorite WA PCT hiking is when the huckleberries and high mountain blueberries are ripe.  If you are social, you will see more PCT thru attemptee's if you go later--only the superfast and the creative non-purists would be up there that early.

If you keep your date, bring a headnet.   Twice I've hiked thru worse case scenario bug breeding frenzies in the North Cascades while distance hiking with a tarp.  It was definitely worth it, but barely.   I used lightweight ripstop pants and a windshirt for shell clothing they can't bite thru.  Hand mits and booties of the same fabric (ala Ray Jardine) are extremely advantageous as is a headnet with brimmed hat.  Z-Packs has mossie netting sheer enough to not mind wearing.

The Mossies give up but the blackfly won't.  It helps to learn the embrace being part of the food supply and learn blackfly song:  Go to You Tube and search Canada/Blackfly to see this song set to animation.

Sincerely, Lollygag