[pct-l] Quilt vs individual sleeping bags

Mark Hyams markhyams at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 16:01:53 CDT 2013

For the past four years my wife and I have been using a Jardine 2-person
quilt. It's the "alpine" insulation, I sewed it to fit my 6'2" height, and
it weighs in right at 3 lbs. We've used it on many multi-day trips,
including a 20-day thru-hike of the JMT.

All along we have had mixed feelings about it. It has kept us warm down to
low 30s, used with a Jardine tarp and net-tent, and it is very functional,
but it has also led to many sleepless nights. I toss and turn a lot, and it
is hard to keep the warm air in when doing so, and also hard not wake up my
wife. Since we are quite different heights, that makes it awkward too.

After considering everything for over a year, we have decided to go with
individual quilts. I'd sew the Jardine ones, but don't have the time these
days, so we are going with Katabatic ones.

Hope my story helps you decide.

Mark