[pct-l] Request for Strategy Comments (Maps, Guide & Data Book)

Dave Fajer davefajer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 15:31:20 CDT 2013

Awesome Thumper!

I have not done the PCT yet...my plan for 2015/6.  So I am not as
experienced on the long hauls as most others on this list.  I do not want
to misrepresent my experience here.

I am intrigued with your plan because I have currently set myself up to
have multiple electronic tools also when I go (Halfmiles App and GPS) along
with the standard compass.  My thoughts and experiences to date are this:

1.  I will probably be ditching the GPS due to weight (and need for more
power, recharging equipment, etc) and the increasing utility/coverage of
the phone and the increased info available on Halfmile maps.  The PCT,
properly researched and accompanied with halfmile maps, give more info and
are obviously more dependable (invest $7 in a map case if you are worried
about water).  Paper map weight can be minimized by sectioning your maps
and delivering them via resupply boxes.

2.  I anticipate that there will also be good GPS apps for my phone (also a
Galaxy Note II) by that time.  However, remember that there will ALWAYS be
connectivity gaps (sometimes really big ones....days and days) and the GPS
is a constructed location utilizing cell towers versus
satellites...sometime ya got cell towers, a lot of times ya don't.  Just
cause you need to check your location doesn't mean there is a cell tower to
assist you at that point.  The satellites are there more often..but
sometimes blocked by mountains and tree cover....more so in the Northern
sections.

3.  Since the clarity of the Halfmile maps (Thanks Halfmile!  You
are Fantastic) ensure better location identification and provide more 2
dimensional info than a GPS...I'm thinking a sole GPS unit will become much
less usable and necessary by the time I hit the trail!  Besides, I will
still have my trusty compass to use with the maps, if needed.

Best of luck in your quest.  I look forward to hearing how its going for
you.  If you are going to have a blog.....let us all know where.

Coastal