[pct-l] the aches and pains of the geezer hikers

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 08:50:23 CDT 2013

I really meant that "expensive bargain" thing in jest.  I've had 4 surgeries in the last 4 years, and he's been  nurse, cook, bottle washer, chauffeur, laundress,maid, and patient companion through all of them.  When I had bilateral knee replacement, I opted to go to a rehab facility for 12 days following the surgery..  He even came in to the facility and  cleaned the windows in my room because they weren't up to his standard.  No wonder he wants to go on long hikes!

He puts up with taking me on short (2-3 night) backpacking trips here in Florida and on the AT.  He slows down, takes more breaks, limits the mileage, and even consents to carrying a stove and cooking at night.

If anything, I owe him big time.  When I say that, he insists he still owes me for all the years of trail support I've done.  I'm happy to support him in his dreams.

It takes a lot of intense planning, extra time, and more persistence to do your own support.  My hat's off to those of you who do it all on your own.

Joan