[pct-l] memorial for Bill "Asabat" Jeffery

Judson Brown judsonwb at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 17:54:27 CDT 2013

Greetings, all-

Today, I had the honor of placing Asabat's memorial at Charlton Lake. Dana
Law put all the effort into putting it together and mailing it up here.

Since I'm hiking right after school gets out, this was probably my last
weekend to place it. It was a beautiful, summery day for this early in
June. I encountered only a couple of small patches of snow on the walk in
from the road. The mosquitoes were present but not too bad. And
surprisingly, despite the beauty of the surroundings and the weather, I saw
not one person at the lake.

The memorial is located on the PCT, rather than the lake itself. I placed
it at the southernmost signed junction to the lake, 0.11 mi. south of the
main junction, and 0.48 south of rd. 5897. That places it just past trail
mile 1931.5. For those who like coordinates, it's at N 43 44.644, W 121
58.747. It is a metal ammo can, with notebook and pencils inside for people
to sign.

I'm glad I was given the opportunity to be a part of this. I didn't know
Bill personally, but I know he did an awful lot for the PCT community. So
next time you're hiking past, stop by and give your regards.

Judson Brown/bunnyslayer