[pct-l] Met SOBO at Barrel Springs

P H n801yz at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:03:07 CDT 2013

He definitely indicated he left the northern US border last year, and had been working his way south all along. I was momentarily stunned when he approached Barrel Springs from the north. I was trying to figure out what I was seeing in order to ask a coherent question. I had been hiking from the 3rd gate, so I was a little fatigued and was just settling in at that moment in order to fill up some water bottles. Ole Yeller sauntered up to the spring and drank a couple liters from a decal adorned Nalgene bottle. He was bronzed by the sun and had little body fat. We exchanged a few pleasantries and admittedly I was a bit flummoxed at my inner voice for sounding off in a doubting Thomas sort of way, while I conversed nonchalantly in the present with Ole Yeller. He had a small to average build, but no small pack, with that salty trail look and very comfortable in his own skin. I wished that I would have asked for a photo with the man. Fascinating indeed.

Paint