[pct-l] Monkey Butt, Any treatment Ideas ????

Anthony Biegen ajbiegen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 16:13:42 CDT 2013

Leden wrote:

>Wondering what to do? I'm about at my tail end of trying to get this under
control, I've tried diaper rash cream , has this helped you or >is there
something better to use?
>Please help.......

I tried using Anti-Monkey Butt (yes, that is a real product) which does
help somewhat. But(t) as someone inelegantly put it a couple of years ago,
using that - you're just makin' gravy.

I read on Erik the Black's website (or maybe it was one of his videos) that
he splashes some alcohol on the area and that does the trick. When I had
the problem a few years ago, I tried that. It is extremely unpleasant (akin
to treating a cold sore on your lip with a lit cigarette) but does seem to
work. I have modified this approach a bit. I stopped using toilet paper on
trail and now use those personal wipes. I put a little hand sanitizer on
one and clean that area good. I do that every day whether I poop or not.

Also, when the weather is hot, part of my cooling system is to leave my fly
open to get more air down there. I try to remember that I am doing this and
to make appropriate accommodations when SOBO's come by or people stop to
chat. Usually somewhat successful.

One other thing that you will notice; it is usually the guys that complain
about this. Because of anatomical differences, i.e. wider hips, women's
cheeks don't push on each other as much as men's do. So another secret is
to separate the offending parties. I have on desperate occasions used a
bandana or some virgin wool I usually carry for foot care to effect a
temporary truce until the angry areas calm down. This works but can be an
odd sensation for those of us who don't usually hike in a thong.

TrailHacker
I'm glad I already have a trail name.