[pct-l] Printing and treating half-mile maps

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 10:33:50 CDT 2013

If they are laser-printed (rather than ink jet) the ink holds up pretty
well.  Of course they ARE paper, but in a baggie I have found laser printed
maps hold up very well.  (I keep pdfs stored in my iPhone as backup.)  On
HalfMile's site, he has a recommended printer located in Portland that laser
prints the entire set for $70.  It cost me $20 for shipping/handling to
North Carolina, so I am getting the entire set (~400 pages) for $90.  That
was A LOT cheaper than I could get them printed elsewhere. As a bonus, they
have all the most recent files, so I didn't have to mess with uploading the
files.  They are 750 MB total - so it is not trivial.  Another printer I was
considering had a 100 MB limit and $3 for each additional file after that.
By zipping together pdfs, I could have gotten the maps to about 10 files
<100 MB, but that would have been $30 just for upload fees.  In any case,
the Portland printer was by far the best deal.

I should get mine any day now and I'll let you know about the quality.  I
have heard it is excellent.

Timberline