[pct-l] Warm weather hiking food

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Jul 16 17:14:50 CDT 2013

[pct-l] Warm weather hiking food

Marcia,
You failed to mention that Scott goes "COLD" (without a stove).
He substitutes heat from fire with heat that burns within him
and warms his black beans dinner by placing the soaking beans
against his hot body while hiking for another hour or so before
dinner.
It is not a steaming hot dinner but somewhat warm.
This will not work for everybody...but you have to remember,
Scott is on a "MISSION", gram counting is taken to the extreme,
and he is willing to sacrifice comfort and push his body to the
limit to accomplish his goal.
Like I said,..."this will not work for everybody".
It may work for hikers willing to sacrifice comfort for  "UL".

On some of my MT fast packs I tried to take it one step further.
Scott likes black beans,...I prefer re-fried beans.
However, Scott still needs to stop and take time to eat the black
beans and wash his eating utensils.
I decided if I used a wide mouth "GATOR AID" bottle as my meal bowl
and instead of just adding enough water for the beans to obtain a
pasty consistency, I add enough water so the beans obtain a soup
like consistency, I could not only prepare and warm my meals while
hiking, but also eat (drink), wash and drink the wash water while
hiking without wasting any time, water or calories...I even ate my
instant oatmeal like that.
This may not work for everybody, but hey,...it worked for me and
calories are calories, whether liquid or pasty.

Terry,
You are correct,...Cliff Bars suck on a hot day when you are low
on water and your mouth is dry.
A "SNICKERS" bar probably would be more tasty and require less
water.

Lesson #1 to be learned from this is....Carry sufficient water.
Lesson #2 take food that you enjoy eating even when thirsty.
Lesson #3 calories in the pack are useless if you can't eat them.

Things like crackers, cheese, trail mix, and yes, Cliff Bars can
really suck on a hot day when you are low on water.
A "SNICKERS" bar would slide down much easier.
Instead of crackers and mixed nuts, which require a gallon of
water to get down, try Macadamia Nuts.
At 200 calories per ounce Macadamia Nuts are the most calorie
dense food I am aware of...you have to drink straight oil to beat
that.
They are also delicious and because of their high oil contents
don't require a gallon of water to wash down.
The other good thing about Macadamia Nuts is that they are very
high in Monounsaturated fat which is the most benign oil and
does not affect your cholesterol.

Another suggestion:...when I hike in the Grand Canyon, which can
be awful hot and dry and water is critical, I usually carry one
or two "GREENE PEPPERS".
I know, hardly any calories, but guess what?...lot's of moisture.
Nothing seems to refresh a dry on the trail to long mouth like a
bite of "GREENE PEPPER"...not even warm trail water.

JMT Reinhold
Your Macadamia Nuts munching trail companion

Marcia wrote:...did you try Scott Williamson's black beans soaked
in water with fritoes?....
---------------------------------
Terry wrote;
I just returned from a 3 day, roughly 60 mile hike in the Santa
Barbara back country with the temps 90+ the first day and 100+
the next two days.  The problems I had were what I'm going to
call "managed" dehydration, which I could deal with, as a just
retired 34 year fire fighter here in So. Cal. I am very aware
of the signs and symptoms of acute heat sickness.  The problem I
had was eating.  In the three day of hiking, I lost 7 pounds and
the food I had for my mid day meals and calorie boosts were not
just awful, I had no desire to eat if it didn't have some liquid
in it. I learned on the trip that Cliff Bars suck and, I know that
will get a few laughs from most of you but, I would like some
direction that will allow me a safer and nicer hike in hot weather