[pct-l] Fwd: Warm weather hiking food

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Tue Jul 16 10:24:50 CDT 2013

Below I'm sharing two recipes for dehydrated slaws that my hiker is enjoying out on the PCT (he's just about to hit the halfway point).

The slaws are sweet/tart, refreshing and a little crunchy, which might tempt a heat-depleted appetite in super hot weather.  The recipes call for packinging as 1/3 C. portions, but I've been packing 1/2 C. portions.

Joan in Oviedo, FL, an FT Trail Town
Base Commander
Hiker Logistic Supply Command Headquarters

Packer's Cole Slaw
1 tablespoon noniodized or canning salt
1 cup water
1/2 cabbage, washed and finely shredded
1 stalk celery, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 green pepper, shredded
3/4 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup sugar

At home: Dissolve the salt in the water in a large bowl, then soak the cabbagein the salt water for an hour. Add the next three ingredients and let them soakfor another 20 minutes, then drain and rinse thoroughly. Meanwhile, combine thevinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, and sugar in a pan and bring it to a boil,stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the dressing over the rinsedvegetable mixture in the bowl and marinate, covered, for at least 24 hours beforedehydrating. Divide the dried slaw into plastic bags (1/3 cup of dried salad isadequate as a side dish for one person).

In camp: Add an equal amount of water to each portion of salad (1/3 cup ofwater to 1/3 cup of salad) and allow it to reconstitute for at least half anhour. Yield: 3 1/2 to 4 cups (10 to 12 side dishes).

Carrot-Pineapple Crunch
1 large lemon's peel, grated
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 large carrots, peeled and shredded *
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
1 tablespoon toasted slivered almonds

At home: Stir the lemon zest and sugar into the lemon juice in a pan and simmergently until the sugar is dissolved. Put the carrots and pineapple in a bowl,pour the juice mixture over them, cover the bowl, and marinate for at least 24hours before drying. Package the dried mix in zipper-lock bags (1/3 cup ofdried salad will make side dishes for two people). Package the almondsseparately.

*I used a couple more carrots when I made this one, but that's up to you.