[pct-l] Warm weather hiking food

Terry tsparks56 at aol.com
Mon Jul 15 14:47:58 CDT 2013

I just returned from a 3 day, roughly 60 mile hike in the Santa Barbara back country with the temps 90+ the first day and 100+ the next two days.  The problems I had were what I'm going to call "managed" dehydration, which I could deal with, as a just retired 34 year fire fighter here in So. Cal. I am very aware of the signs and symptoms of acute heat sickness.  The problem I had was eating.  In the three day of hiking, I lost 7 pounds and the food I had for my mid day meals and calorie boosts were not just awful, I had no desire to eat if it didn't have some liquid in it.  I learned on the trip that Cliff Bars suck and, I know that will get a few laughs from most of you but, I would like some direction that will allow me a safer and nicer hike in hot weather

Sent from my iPhone