[pct-l] 46,000 miles on horseback

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Jul 10 03:05:41 CDT 2013

Hi gang,
Trouble is back in town...that, of course, is  "good"  news for the
girls but  "bad"
news for the guys.

Say guys, the latest issue of the Pacific Crest Trail Communicator is
featuring a
story about Ed Anderson and his 46,000 miles on horseback, including the
PCT.
46,000 miles on horseback just staggers the imagination.
I suggest you read the story to get a feeling for the outstanding
adventurer Ed.

Ed, you are a horseman "elite",....I will remove my hat and bow in your
presence.

Say Ed, there seem to be parallels in our lifes.
Like you, I also was somewhat of a  "Rolling Stone"  in my younger days,
rambling around the country in a VW camper bus with the original 36 hp
engine.
I eventually replaced that 36 hp engine with a "big bore 40".
Who knows, it could have been your  VW Adventurer conversion.
I bought it used so, so I don't know who converted it.
Like you, I also dreamed about sailing the world.
That itch developed from watching the TV series  "Adventures in Paradise"
as a teenager.
Then along came the Vietnam War, and the adventurer that I was, I
enlisted in
the USMC.
Well, the only real high sea adventure I did was on a troop transport to
Vietnam in 1965.

The funny thing, my best Marine buddy and I were dreaming about traveling
the world after the war and my buddy's father, who was worried that his son
might not come back, wrote..."COME BACK SON...JUST COME BACK"...I
WILL BUY YOU ANY CAR YOU CHOOSE".
So we started thinking...CORVETT...he is going to get a Corvett and we will
leave a trail of broken hearts from the East Coast to the West Coast.
There was no doubt in our minds that women will just absolutely go wild for
good looking combat veterans....aaahhh....the innocence of youth.

Well, to make a long story short, my buddy met a girl named Karen and I met
a girl named Karen and that was the end of the "broken hearts trail" story.

It is probably best that it ended up this way for it saved the women of
America
a lot of grieve and heart aches.

JMT Reinhold
Your "rolling stone" trail companion