[pct-l] FOOD--Between Whitney and Muir Trail Ranch

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 21:58:29 CST 2013

When I solo hiked the Muir Trail way back in 1957, I went from Whitney Portal to Tuolumne Meadows without a resupply.  I was a "Heavy Trucker" - my pack weight, at the start, carried in my old Kelty Pack, was probably around 65 pounds. I brought no tent or stove. In those days I always cooked over a wood fire. My trail diet included lots of trout and some wild plants that I was familiar with. I took my time - I think that it took 18 days. There were very few hikers on the JMT at that time. I never saw a bear in the high country.

So, in 2012 I rode the JMT, starting from Horseshoe Meadows. I resupplied twice, at Cedar Grove and at the Vermillion Valley Resort. There were many hikers. I think I passed at least 400 heading south. I saw four bears. Had no bear problems.

MendoRider-Hiker