[pct-l] Wheeled Backpack

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 24 09:21:42 CST 2013

The text:
http://www.wilderness.net/nwps/legisact

This from the BLM, a list of comments and responses:
http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/ely_field_office/blm_programs/
wilderness/wilderness_act_of.print.html

Here's a section on wheelbarrows from the above:
BLM’s position is that we must include wheeled game carriers or
wheelbarrows in the definition of mechanical transport, or it will
conflict with the letter and spirit of the Wilderness Act. This
position is also consistent with Forest Service policy. Trail work is
an administrative function that is adequately addressed in section 4
(c) of the Wilderness Act. This section allows BLM to use the minimum
tools necessary for such administrative work.

I agree that the Dixon Roller Pack might be more trouble than it's
worth on the PCT. I think you'd do better to find out how much the
fellow can carry and have his buddies help carry the rest.