[pct-l] No Subject

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Sun Jan 20 01:16:15 CST 2013

Dennis said:

Aside from weight one needs to consider availability. On a long hike,
one
 needs to resupply; Propane canisters and Esbit tablets are not always
 available in small towns, while Alcohol (or its equivalent) can be
found in
 most stores.

Some thoughts on using an isobutane canister stove: I used an
isobutane canister stove on the PCT, The AZT and the CT. I was worried
about availability in small towns but this problem didn't materialize.
I found nearly full canisters in hiker boxes. I had a friend send me
canisters via the USPS (special regs for labelling apply) one time
only. I only used the stove once a day and used a pot cozy to extend
the fuel use--which meant only bringing food to a boil, then taking it
off the stove and letting it steep in the cozy.. One 7 oz canister
lasted me several weeks used in this way. I have tried an alcohol
stove--I don't like the invisible  open flame (even tho you can make
it turn color by adding a pinch of salt) and having to wait for all
the fuel to burn off. Plus the amount of fuel you need at the
beginning of the hike made it a virtual dead heat with the canister
stove (7 oz canister and MSR pocket rocket). I also like to just be
able to turn the stove on and light it--no fiddling around with
pouring alcohol out on days when all you want to do is eat as quickly
as possible and go to sleep. I also have used the stove to melt snow
for water which I needed when waiting out a snow storm. I kept the
canister in my sleeping bag at night when I wanted to use it in the
morning during freezing weather.

--Fireweed