[pct-l] Stoves, stoves and more stoves....

Randy Godfrey randy3833 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 12:41:14 CST 2013

Thank you all for taking the time to post information on the alcohol vs canister stove issue. It was nice to see the usage comparisons in the graph (I saved that ThruHiker site, thanks) and to get your collective thoughts.

You did crack me up, Steel-Eye, with the Svea stove story. I, too used a Svea from the late '60s to the mid '70s, when I graduated to a Coleman Peak 1 (gasp). What a heavy beast it was. I used that thing until the early '90s when I moved up to an MSR Whisperlight. I loved that stove, but finally made the move to the lightweight canister stove about 10 years ago. I still miss the performance of the Whisperlight (flame thrower) in high altitude/freezing conditions.

My own little Svea story: My dad and I did a winter climb of Longs Peak in Colorado in 1970. Camped in Boulderfield at 13,000 ft., it was -13 degrees F in the morning and my dad had this brilliant idea to just cook in the tent. The Svea stove exploded in the process ( I think it was the pressure relief valve), flames everywhere. what I remember well was my dad picking up that little metal fireball and hurling it out into the snow. There was some hissing and then, yes, the silence of the wilderness returned.

Randy