[pct-l] Stoves, stoves and more stoves....

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 19 08:42:25 CST 2013

Good morning, Randy,

You don’t have it wrong.  There’s less to see in the stove discussion than
meets the eye.  Hikers love to discuss stoves:  We compare specs in
nauseating detail.  We are thrilled at the trinketry.  We handle them and
play with them; all the while imagining ourselves using them.  We are each
certain we have the exact right answer.

For a while back in the ‘60s I hiked with an old SVEA-123 stove; it being
about the lightest gas stove available at the time.  That fussy little
bitch provided me with two of the best moments of the day: First, when it
actually decided to start, and finally when I shut off its incessant
hissing and once again could enjoy the peace and quiet of the wilderness.

Having tried most other stoves over the following years, I became convinced
that Lt. Gen. Michail Kalashnikov was correct:  “Things that are complex
are not useful.  Things that are useful are simple."

Finally, after I had moved down the technology scale to an item that had
exactly no moving parts and found that it still involved too much fussing,
I subscribed to a theory from another useful thinker, Peter Drucker, who
said, “There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should
not be done at all.”

As a result I left the stove and pot at home and began eating cold food.

I suggest you use what you know works for you and “Sweetie”.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/