[pct-l] Stoves, stoves and more stoves....

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 18 13:07:05 CST 2013

MendoRider,
	Yeah, propane as a fuel is not bad. It is slightly better than white gas in energy content. However, the actual can for containing the gas nearly doubles the weight. A typical 3.77oz can actually weighs close to 7oz depending on which one you purchased. Because they come in incremental parts, they tend to criss-cross back and forth with alcohol for best weight for volume, provided you can toss an empty canister, immediately.
Anyway, Propane is about the best at 20,700 BTU/lb. Kero and WG are about 180000 to 19000 depending on purity and mix. Methanol is only about 9000 and ethanol is about 12000 or so. I believe that Esbits are only 13000 or so.
	But after adding in for a can canisters and alcohol are about the same. Esbits do not burn totally, leaving a film or residue, thus lowering heat content. WG and Kero need heavy appliances to mix fuel before burning. At the end of two weeks, they all come so close to being even (perhaps three or four ounces different) that I just ignore the fuel wars that go on. Alcohol/esbit is the heaviest initially, but lightest at the end. WG is the lightest initially but heaviest at the end. But, that's at my usage...about 2 quarts a day plus cooking. A 1oz soda bottle works for up to 20floz of WG or Alcohol. The density is around .8, btw.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm