[pct-l] Burn Bans

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Jan 17 17:41:09 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think the confusion of 'alcohol stoves being banned' was from what happened
> in many parts of Colorado (the Rockies in general).

There are several levels of "burn ban" along the PCT

In SoCal most common is "no campfires except at Yellow Posts in
campgrounds." That one is year round. Fires inside enclosures like
alcohol or wood burning stoves are OK.

The next level up in SoCal bans stoves that don't have an on/off
valve. This would ban most most alcohol or wood burning stoves, except
maybe the alcohol stove just announced here that has a valve. This
happens during high fire danger, and in most years happens after the
Thrus are further north.

The final level is "no open flames at all, not even stoves of any
kind."  This happens during extreme fire danger.

These restrictions are set by each Forest based on the conditions.

====

In addition in SEKI and Yosemite, there are wood burning restriction
in some areas for ecological reasons and high use. This is a different
issue.

As always, if anyone has any information different than this, please correct me.

YMMV, HYOH

Brick