[pct-l] sleeping bags & liners

Bill Potter billpotter at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 18:08:40 CST 2013

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and wanted to thank everyone for the incredible amount of information shared via this list.  It's been invaluable for planning my thru hike.

I've a question regarding sleeping bags.  I've read that most thru hikers use a 20 bag but I've also read that keeping them clean is a problem and if you don't then they lose their effectiveness.  What is the thinking on using a 30 bag with a liner.  That should bring the cold rating to 20-25 AND protect the bag from body oils.

What do you think?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to meeting the class of 2013 on the trail,

Bill Potter