[pct-l] Pemmican

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 11 19:39:32 CST 2013

I made some beef heart jerky using a recipe on Mark's Daily Apple.
Here's the recipe:

"Heart, being nearly pure lean muscle, makes excellent jerky. Get a
half-frozen heart and carve as thinly as possible (freezing makes
accurate slices easier). For three pounds of heart, marinate slices
in a 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons
cayenne, 1 tablespoon salt, 2 teaspoons black pepper for at least
twelve hours. Let them dry on paper towels completely before drying.
Obviously, a food dehydrator works best but an oven set to its lowest
heat with the door ajar works, too. They’re ready when completely
dry. Everyone will enjoy it, and best of all, you won’t be lying by
calling it beef jerky."

One tip: cut any fat and membranes off. That stuff gets impossible to
chew. Also, I didn't dry the meat on paper towels. I just stuck it
right in the dehydrator. You could do the same recipe with any cut of
beef. And the measurements need not be exact. Heart has COQ10 in it
so it's extra good for you.

Heart doesn't seem to get crispy. It gets chewy.