[pct-l] Tuna Helper's 2012 Speed Record Attempt Blog and Photos

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Jan 11 14:27:01 CST 2013

[pct-l] Tuna Helper's 2012 Speed Record Attempt Blog and Photos Hey Ryan,
Congrats on your outstanding accomplishment and thanks for sharing
it....I will forward
this to Scott Williamson.
I remember your hike very well and followed it with great enthusiasm.
Scott Williamson, my friend and hero, as you already know also was
attempting to lower
his prior record in 2012.
Yes 2012 was an exiting year...you blazing north and Scott blazing south
at record
breaking speeds....things just don't get more exiting than that.
Unfortunately both of you had to abandon your record attempts before
reaching the
borders.....you after 42.5 days and Scott in Oregon after 13 days due to
all the forest
fires.....BUMMER!!!
But,....there is always next year, and the fire keeps on burning.
I know after 13 PCT hikes (16 counting section hikes) Scott's fire is
still burning and the
undeniable, unquestionable, indisputable  "King of the PCT"  is already
dreaming about
another attempt.

I understand Scott's obsession with the PCT.....I have a similar
obsession with the JMT.
People ask me..."Why do you hike the the JMT so much"?
I answer....."The  JMT  is like a beautiful women....and once
bitten,...forever hooked.
Scott has the same problem....he got bitten by that beautiful  PCT lady.
Scott and I are not the only ones.....I suspect many members on this
list have the same
problem

Like I said...."THE FIRE JUST KEEPS ON BURNING".

I don't know what it is about speed hiking that makes speed fanatics
push their bodies
to the limit and endure suffering and pain in quest of elusive records.

Some folks say it's....."CRAZY!!!!

I say.....There is something to be said about setting  "High Goals" and
then pushing your
body to the extreme to accomplish those goals.
Besides,....the suffering and pain soon will be forgotten,....but the
memories,....aaahhhhh
the memories,....they will last a lifetime.

I like the way Brian Robinson  Robinson puts it.....Brian once told
me......."Reinhold, some
folks don't understand us,...they just don't understand the crazy things
we do,...but we crazy
ones,....we understand each other."
So you see Ryan,....I understand you,... however,  some folks don't
understand you.
But we crazy ones, and there are many on this list, we understand you.

BTW....I understand Switchback's fire is still burning and he is
dreaming about some kind
of  UL  "unsupported without resupplies"  PCT record attempt.
He claims he has the pre-stocked calories to do it.

JMT Reinhold
Your crazy trail companion

Hello All,
      It's been 6 months now since I got off trail near Crater Lake,
but I've finally wrapped up all my PCT stuff from the hike last year.
I managed 1864 miles in 42.5 days, and set new PCT Midpoint and
California records, but the entire trail record still alluded me. On
my attempt I took a great many photos and also kept an audio trail
journal for every day. Because of this, and the nature of the hike I
did, I wanted to share it with those who might be interested in such
things. Thus, I created a trail journal style blog, where you can read
the journal and or listen to the actual audio recording. Also
available on the page are links to my full 500 photo PCT 2012 album, a
link to download all of the audio journals, a like to download all of
my GPS tracks and campsite waypoints and a variety of other related
documents. It's been a while in the making and I'm happy it's almost
done! Who knows if I'll attempt it again, but I know now that it is
quite possible to exceed your own goals and nothing is out of reach!

The First Post (use the right side dates/Posts to navigate through the site)
http://www.pctspeed.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html

2012 Complete Photo Album
https://plus.google.com/photos/113529152827233483970/albums/5804036552665873505

GPS Tracks and Waypoints Download
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0By2m6B0qS-XOSWdkOU1WVzRLOW8/edit

PCT Documents - Gear List, Split times, Daily Mileage Log etc.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0By2m6B0qS-XObGs3WUFFUDh5TWc/edit

The last post will go up today at 6:00pm MT, it's what my feet looked
like 2 weeks after I got off trail. Yeah, you don't want your feet to
look like that!
If you find a link that doesn't work or a different problem, please
let me know and I'll try and fit it!

Hope you'll enjoy and share with others.

Cheers,
Ryan "Tuna Helper" Weidert.