[pct-l] Pemmican

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 20:38:27 CST 2013

To shift to beef jerky for a moment, most of what you buy is very moist,
therefore heavier and not as stable once the package is opened.  The stuff
I make myself starts as very thinly sliced cheap beef roast that is then
salted and spiced and dehydrated so dry that it is almost like beef corn
chips.  It is so dry that what I made 14 months ago is still delicious just
kept in a zip lock.  I used it out of hand on trail because it was really
tasty and then broke it up to rehydrate it with different meals.  It seems
the commercial jerky is attempting to be tender and moist, but I love it
really dry and crunchy.

Shroomer