[pct-l] Permanent Bear Bins

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Jan 9 16:16:16 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Jeffrey Olson <jolson at olc.edu> wrote:

> For hiking through the Sierra, I don't think you'd have any chance at
> all at convincing a backcountry ranger your PCT permit lets you hike
> cannister-less...
>
> Warner Springs Monty did some calculations a couple years ago he posted
> to the listserv - 2006 or 2007.  You might be able to find them in the
> archives...

I am mostly looking a complying with the letter of the law, which only
declares that food must be on your person, or stored in a Bear Resistant
Container, which would include fixed bear boxes. If this is not the case, I
would love if is someone could reply with a reference that shows otherwise.

There are 2 problematic sections on the PCT in this area due to the
distances between the boxes

1)Agnew Meadows to Tuolomne meadows, about 30 miles. This is possible, and
I have personally hiked it in one day a few times.

2)Glen Aulin to the Dorothy Pass, the north border of the YNP which is 50
miles and is virtually impossible to hike in one day.

I have found a simple answer of "I am using bear boxes as my approves
storage method" has been an adequate answer to rangers. Some have not
seemed to like that answer, but I have not received a citation.

HYOH