[pct-l] Vegan Thru Hike?

Daniel Zellman danielzellman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:21:38 CST 2013

The falicy here of course is the assumption, implicit in these
two responses to Becky's query, that all or most vegetarians on some level
REALLY want to eat meat, that vegetarianism is in some way a burden or a
deprivation or something. Of course, it's possible this is true for some
folks, but I've never understood why anyone who wanted to eat meat wouldn't
just eat it. I am a vegetarian because I want to be. I don't see not eating
meat as a burden or hardship; on the contrary, the burden or hardship would
lie in being forced TO eat meat.

Another fallicy is that the human body needs meat, or is healthier with it,
or the like. This of course is totally ridiculous, as the diet of hundreds
of millions of Buddhists and Hindus (many of them living lives which are
FAR more strenuous on a daily basis than those walking the trail)
definitively and incontrovertably demonstrates.

Good luck with your planning, Becky! My partner and I are both vegetarians
and are planning our first thru hike for 2013 as well. Maybe we can share
some delicious (non-sentient-being-killing) vegetarian trail meals along
the way....

-dz

--
-dz (mobile)