[pct-l] Permanent Bear Bins

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 09:59:30 CST 2013

> Would appreciate knowing if and where there are permanent bear bins
> on the PCT between bishop pass and kearsage pass.

Go to <http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/WC.html> and you will see that there
are 4 bear box locations (6 boxes total) 'on' the PCT in that area: Middle Rae Lake (2),
Lower Rae Lake, Arrowhead Lake, & Woods Creek Crossing (2)...
There are no other bear boxes between Woods Creek & Bishop Pass...

Also see map at <http://sierrawild.gov/media/site/foodstoragemap/map082609.pdf>,
showing the bear canister "required" areas and bear box locations, but please note
that the bear boxes at Woods Creek are NOT shown, plus there is NOT a bear box
located at the PCT/Dusy Basin-Bishop Pass junction in LeConte Canyon as shown
(I've been trying for five years to get those two points corrected!)...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)